I’m tired, sore, and don’t feel like leaving my couch for a few days…BUT WE GOT SO MUCH DONE THIS WEEKEND!
Momma MisHappenings came up Friday morning and we started the crown molding project in my bedroom. We decided to put in a three piece crown, because Momma MisHappenings really likes molding and feels like you can’t ever over do the molding. I also like molding, probably because I grew up in a house filled with nice, homemade moldings.
I don’t have the skills required to create molding from scratch. I have just enough talent to run a miter saw and a nail gun. Momma did all the coping…..which is really an advanced maneuver. The Engineer and I did most of the cutting and installing, atleast on Saturday and Sunday. Momma and I did all the wall pieces on Friday while The Engineer worked. Almost none of my home improvement projects have gone as smoothly as this molding did! All three pieces were cut, coped, and install by noon today! I originally had visions of getting the bathroom all done too, but A. I didn’t buy enough of the first two pieces of trim and B. There are way too many corners in my bathroom and they take a decent amount of time to get fit nicely!
The nail holes all still need to be filled and touch up paint needs to happen in several places, but all in all the whole project went pretty well. Molding is a fairly complicated process, and there are plenty of old world technical skills required. Most of our issues revolved around the fact that the actual crown pieces came from two different production lots. They were just slightly different in their angle and profile. However, slightly different is one thing when the pieces are laying flat. When you are trying to cope and fit corners evenly and with no gaps…..slightly different quickly changes to a huge pain in the ass. With some extra sanding and filing we got pretty decent corners all around and I can touch up the small gaps with caulk or spackle before I retouch the paint.
I won’t explain in detail how to do the crown…..mostly because other people can do it much better than me. Again, I’m rolling with just enough skill to get things done, but my teaching abilities are not really up to par. If you’re interested in installing molding I’d recommend The Joy of Moldings. He has an excellent blog that will teach you how to cope corners and how to layout the pattern for your crown.
I’m not as glue happy as The Joy of Moldings guy. My Dad only ever glued scarf joints….never coped corners and never ever did he use glue to attach moldings to walls and ceilings. I don’t have the advantage of knowing how my townhouse is constructed, and because I didn’t buy a stud finder until we were 2/3 of the way done with the molding, I did end up adding some panel adhesive onto the cornice pieces on the ceiling.
My Dad also never used a nail gun, but he was faster and more skilled. I need to make up time somewhere, and shooting in nails works fine in that capacity. Plus, since I didn’t originally know where the studs were, after we bought the stud finder at Cosco I went around and shot in a bunch of extra nails actually into the studs. More holes to fill I suppose, but when the nails are that easy to install I suppose you get a bit liberal with them! However, shooting nails around willy nilly has it’s downfalls, and just like every other time we’ve attempted a project pieces had to be ripped down and nails pulled out. Nothing has been as bad as the time I nailed my pocket door open…..but still……struggles were had. It was nice to get the project wrapped up this weekend. Today is my parent’s wedding anniversary, so it was nice to spend the weekend with my Momma doing something my Dad was so skilled at.
It actually worked out really well having a tube of panel adhesive open. Saturday morning, the guest bed upstairs broke. The frame itself was purchased by my Grandma when she was still living at home with my Great Grandama. So I’m sure it predates her marrying my Grandpa. My Uncle had added a couple pieces of wood to act as risers for the box spring supports, and one of those old pieces shattered. Luckily we were able to cut some scraps into new risers and glued the whole thing back into place. I also used a small amount to reinstall a loose kick plate in the kitchen. One bedroom of crown molding, a kitchen reinstall, and a bed repair…..not a bad day in the life of a $3 tube of adhesive!
Another item that got checked off the to do list that has been looming for years is the gallery wall in my dining room. The Bitch Faced Bestie will be so proud! The frames themselves have only been stacked up on the dining room floor for 3 years…..better late than never I guess. Realistically I had been waiting to find all the pictures I want for the frames, but I think having them up will remind me to actually look for art to put in them. I have a general idea of the pictures I want to hang, I’m just having a problem finding what I want. So, I’m sure I will slowly start collecting art for my gallery, but even just having the frames up is making my dining room area feel much fancier!